A Little About Green Tomatillos


Usually I make standard salsa with red tomatoes but this week I thought I'd try something a bit different. Use the tomatillos that were in my produce box.

Tomatillos are small fruits (used as a vegetable) enclosed in a husk. The fruit resembles a small unripe tomato and is usually green or yellow. The yellow color indicates ripeness, but they can be used when they are still green. Green tomatillos are firmer and easier the slice. The husk that holds the fruit is like paper and is light brown. The flesh is slightly acidic with a hint of lemon. Tomatillos belong to the same family as tomatoes.


Salsa Verde
Ingredients:
15 -20 tomatillos, husks removed, quartered
5 cloves of garlic
1 medium white or yellow onion, skin removed, coarsely chopped
1 bunch of cilantro
1 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
2 jalapeno, seeds removed
1 Tbsp lime juice

Preparation:
Add onions, jalapeno peppers and tomatillos into a food processor and pulse 4 -5 times. Add remaining ingredients and purse again until desired consistency. ( I like mine very coarse).
Salsa Verde can be served immediately, but is better when it sits in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors meld.




Here is a quilt that I made called Salsa Snowballs
It's perfect for this time of year!

Pre-cuts coming soon!

1 comment:

Your comments make me happy.